George B. Bothwell (1824-1907) donated land, lumber, cash and labor to
construct this place of worship. It was located in Section 23 in the Wolf
Grove neighborhood, 2 1/2 miles southeast of the town of Breckenridge.
The building contract was awarded to J. A. Gordon in May 1880. It was
dedicated as a Methodist Episcopal church on Sunday, September 12, 1880. The
original structure was destroyed by fire but was soon replaced by the frame
building shown here.
This photo, taken in 1898, is annotated "Cleaning Day." The women (from left
to right) are Gertrude Morse, Anna Hargrave, Mary Curnow, Mary Morse
and Estelle Bothwell.
Thanks to Lois Bothwell Stout of Kansas City, Missouri for sharing this
Return to Breckenridge Images index